Post event report: People Summit 2023 - The key takeaways
Here's a look at some of the key areas we covered in this years' People Summit held in September - with thanks to our wonderful partners at Elevayte.Insights + resources
At the end of September Elevayte and Techspace hosted the People Summit, a half-day event for ScaleUp Chief People Officers and People leaders. We brought together more than 40 leaders to connect and learn from others in the ScaleUp ecosystem.
2023 has been a tough year for many, and People leaders are always at the forefront of ensuring that everyone else is looked after. This event was a chance to invest in their own development, look ahead to 2024, and to connect with others who are at a similar stage of growth. The day went from the macro to the personal.
The morning started with a panel of experienced leaders considering the future of the people function. The group then went on to solve real-life people function challenges, working through three topics of; creating a culture of continuous learning, opportunities for leveraging AI in the function, and learning hybrid high performance. The event ended with a chance to be coached by a peer, working on a current challenge or a professional development plan for the next 6 months.
In this report we’ve tried to capture the key insights. We hope you find this interesting and helpful.
Part 1: The future of the People Function panel discussion
Our panellists brought a wealth of experience which included all stages of growth (including up to IPO and post IPO) and had a diverse array of backgrounds. Our panellists were:
- Martin Healiss, Chief People Officer, Arqit
- Trecilla Lobo, Chief People Officer, ComplyAdvantage
- Lorraine Metcalf, Chief People Officer, Quantexa
- Charles Whitehead, Chief People Officer, Gousto
- Moderated by Kusia Pell, CCO, Elevayte
In part 1 we cover:
- In the current economic environment, how does People leadership differ from previous downturns, and what should People leaders be prioritising?
- For leaders and founders who have never navigated a downturn before, what support and guidance can People leaders provide?
- Many People teams face under-investment despite having ambitious goals. What strategies should People leaders employ to demonstrate the value of their function?
- How can AI and technology empower People teams, and what are some practical steps to start small and iterate effectively in this context?
- What are the challenges and opportunities when it comes to harnessing generational difference in ScaleUps?
Part 2: Solving People function challenges - World Café summary
Using the World Café format, we tackled three questions facing ScaleUp People teams:
- How do we create a culture of continuous learning?
- What opportunities does AI bring to the People function?
- How do we cultivate high performance in a hybrid setting?
A bit more about Elevayte
Elevayte coach, train, and develop ScaleUp leaders.
Partnering with ScaleUps through a blend of 1:1 coaching, team coaching and our Elevayte Academy - leadership development programmes.
Find us at www.elevayte.co or on LinkedIn to learn more.